Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Path to the Crypt

As the group begins it's journey, each of you recognize the mentor you've had in town. This is the person who's taught you a few things and a skill or two as you've started your path. Rogar sees Father Rantal Prasst, the human cleric of Erastil wave at him, his background as a soldier and a cleric, helping to forge Rogar's way. Rabb sees her tiger companion leave the company of Olmira Treesong, the human druidess who some say has lost her mind. This morning before Rabb left for the ceremony, her mother told her that it was Olmira that had sent her on this quest, one of many odd tasks she's had Rabb do.

Xeno sees Guard Captain Gregor Wisslo, the human fighter who took Xeno under his wing and providing him with a bit of coin to buy some supplies for this quest. Wisslo gives Xeno a nod and places his fist across his chest, pride beaming from his face as his newest recruit leads this ragtag group of younglings out the village gate. Lein glances around and sees both Holgast the scatterbrained wizard who helped him forge his magic and Guardsman Golfond Kir, the man who honed his martial skills.

As the group is just about to step out the open town gate, Max hears the familiar voice of his sometime mentor, Moltus Vargidan, sorcerer, father of almost a dozen kids and quite possibly insane man. With his white hair all askew, Moltus says in his cracking high pitched voice, "Have fun storming the crypt!" He then cackles to himself, as one of his servants steers him back toward his home.

The group continues down the path presented by the map each person had put together. The path sends the group south through the Fangwood forest. Everyone knows that while the path is probably safe, it doesn't mean there won't be something dangerous here and there, so vigilance is probably a good idea.

((Each of you does have a mentor, well the base classes do, the others will sorta mix and match, the cleric is a former warrior so the warpriest makes pretty good sense.  I assumed you all worked together to put the map together.))
About an hour out of the town, a couple of you smell something in the air. ((Please give me perception checks everyone, that includes Aya))

155 comments:

  1. (Aya's perception check (8+7=15))

    ReplyDelete
  2. (( Perception Roll: 1d20 + 1 = 11 + 1 = 12 ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smelling something amiss Ragnor sets his flail spinning and halts, listening intently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ragnor sniffs the air but only smells the mud that is still on his body, but still is readied as he sees the mountain of a man stop. Lien thinks he smells something but he's not sure if it's not Ragnor. But, Max, Xeno and Rabb smell campfire smoke in the air. Aya, enjoying some breakfast hears the group walking on the road.

    As the group stops to listen for anything, the young drow quickly douses the very small fire, hoping that those on the road are not her enemies and cursing her overwhelming desire for a cup of tea this morning.

    ((What do you do now?))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I tell what direction the fire is in?

      Delete
    2. What wind there is is blowing east to west, so you figure the campfire is off to the east of the path you are on. There not really any smoke, which is why it was so hard to smell it, and impossible to see where it is. Max can tell also smell a light scent of tea on the air.

      Rabb please give me a survival check ((d20 plus survival skill))

      Aya, please give the same survival check.

      Delete
  5. Putting the tiger on alert, Rabb pulls her sling from her belt and prepares 3 magic stones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ((Did I have the foresight to make my camp where there is some cover? If so, I try to hide. Stealth 5+5=10))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting an impression of where the campfire probably was, Rabb sends her tiger around to the back of the location and clutching her weapons tensely moves towards the source of the smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Tea, I smell tea!!!" Max shouts at the top of his lungs and starts to move toward the east, stopping at the edge of the road. "C'mon everyone, I think it smells like second breakfast tea!"

    Turning toward the camp fire, Max takes his most regal tone.

    "Excuse me, commoner," he proclaims, "I am Mysterious Max, the mighty Jagrafess and would be willing to do you the great honor of accepting an invitation, properly given, to join you on this magnificent day for your wonderfully delicious tea!"

    Pausing, Max awaits the inevitable gilded invitation that is sure to be humbly given.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Commoner, you say. You don't know the half of it. But it is a long story and I haven't been able to complete the tea yet. I was rudely interrupted by a band of young'ns. As you can see my fire is out and will have to be reset before the tea is ready.. By the way, my name is Aya and I am not from around here. Are you all from here?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Lien approaches the clearing with his fellows the first thing he notices is the dark skin and pointed ears of the stranger. With a wide-eyed curiosity, he approaches Aya as Max and she make their exchange.

    "My taken name is Lien, and I now hail from Kassan, though I am not originally from here. It appears you and I may have some similarities in decent, sister. If your background is anything like my own, I fully understand your caution."

    He brushes aside his hair to reveal his good pointed ear, curious as to the relation with the Drow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Xeno grumbles and stands as close to the road as he can while still in sight of his party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aya restokes the fire. She notes the number of folks in the party that seems to have joined her and prepares tea for all.
    She let begins to tell her story.
    "I was the first born of a Drow noble, but without the gift of Drow Nobility. I was raised by my family along with my 3 sisters and one brother. but I was not loved. My sisters all had the gift. My oldest sister quickly became my mother’s favorite. When I was 35 years old my siblings came to my in the day, bound and gagged my, placed a hood over head, and dragged my to the surface. They were hoping that I would die there. But I did not!
    I have been in the surface world for about a month. I had two immediate goals: Stay alive and get as far away from where I was left on the surface as I could. I know I am hated in both worlds, my family’s and the surface. I know I have a better chance to survive if I could find some companions, so I set a third goal: befriend someone. Are you the ones that I can befriend?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  13. After the tea is ready, Aya gives a cup to everyone that wants a cup. Then asks, "Where are you folks heading?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accepting a cup of tea, Lien looks at it for a moment and simply holds onto it, not taking a drink.

      "It is the tradition of the town just north of here to send young men and women on a quest to usher in adulthood. They have graciously invited me as well, though my past is not that different from your own." He takes a breath, eyes staring into the embers at their feet. "It would seem that all Elven kind are cruel to their kin."

      Delete
  14. Rabb signals the tiger to relax, steps into the clearing, pours herself a mug of tea and sits down at the edge of the gathering to hear the exchange of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aya asks, "So, how much do you know about this quest?"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aya asks, "Would it be ok for me to help you on the quest, if so are you interested in help?"

    ReplyDelete
  17. "I could always use another squire to add to the rest of the fellows here," Max asserted loudly. "Any friend of my minions is another minion of mine, I always say. Besides, you may a fine cup of tea, isn't that right Mister Mountain?" Max asked, trying to wave the walking pain factory over to the fire for refreshments.

    "Come now, Mister mountain," he carried on, pouring himself another cup of tea, "even you must get thirsty from time to time." Leaning over to Aya, Max whispered, "I'm the brains of this operation, and he's the muscle. As for the others.... Well, me and Mister Mountain were the only obvious choices for those roles. But you'll fit right in, I'm sure."

    Standing up, Max handed Mister Mountain a small cup of tea and then turned to address everyone.

    "Well, we should finish up then. Chop chop, Fangwoods to traverse, eternal flames to retrieve." Looking back up at Xeno, Max pinched his first two fingers together and then stuck out his littlest finger, raising his hand to his mouth in an elaborate demonstration of how to properly drink the tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to the dimunitive dictator finish his tirade Ragnor smiles to himself. Letting the mirth warm him and recalling all his people have taught him of Dark Elves and the deep dark he gets very serious and begins to speak in the language of the Underdark so his companions cannot hear... "Drow. Long have our people fought and many have died in the exchanges. Most dwarves would sooner shave their beards than even deign to exchange words with your kind." Letting the gravity of his words sink in, Ragnor continues, dropping his weapon to his side and easing his defensive posture, "I am not one of them. My clan was once imprisoned in the lightless lands of the Underdark, forever made to toil for masters of unspeakable horror. I have been raised to know of the depravity and terror that is the deepest places of this land. I also know of how my people came by their opportunity to be freed. Their captors came under attack by stealthy warriors clad in the blackest steels and leathers, overwhelming and slaying many of the captors before they even began to realize an attack had begun. The Drow who dwarves have hated since time immemorial had created the diversion my people needed. It was then that Rhykar used his chains to assault his captors and break free. These Drow did not seek to free slaves but their actions served to create the conditions for that to happen." He pauses and kicks at the dirt, mulling over his thoughts.

      "In memory of that action, I believe Rhykar would wish that I served to help you in your plight. We have an important ceremony ahead of us and to help would go far in getting you a welcome into our world. Join us and we shall help one another. I will caution you though, I am giving you the chance to prove your heart. Betray me and it will be the last thing you do."

      Ending his long tale he lets the light fade from his weapon, easing the world into shadow, and extending his short arm to the Dark Elf, whispering a prayer to Rhykar that she may be freed from her enslavement to her people as well.

      Delete
    2. Xeno grunts at the offered tea cup and holds it clumsily but moves no farther into the camp.

      He pinches the tiny cup in his fingers as directed and takes a sip. The beverage is hot and bitter and he does his best not to spit it out or dribble it down his beard. He wonders why the reverend mother drank tea every afternoon but thanks his gods silently that she never shared.

      He tries his best to smile but only ends up baring his teeth in a snarl.

      Delete
  18. Aya busies herself clearing the campsite and prepares to go with this new set of 'friends'.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aya grasps Ragnor's arm and says, "I understand betrayal and will NEVER do so myself. You have my pledge on that."

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rabb sips her tea and listens to the exchange. She knows little of Drow but is willing to give this one a chance to prove herself. Rabb will watch Aya carefully as she is also watching her other new companions; Watch and listen. Time will tell whether or not she also trusts.

    With that decision affirmed, Rabb stands, puts her mug back into her pack and signals the tiger to follow from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "We should go." Rabb walks back to the trail and looks back expectantly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The group returns to the path and begins the journey south.

    ((Please provide a marching order and your normal speed. Are you walking normally, slowly or quicker than normal. If someone wants to quickly decide an order I can post the next thing quickly))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aya's normal speed is 20 ft and I assume we are moving at normal speed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The group moves south with Aya taking a lead spot next to Ragnor, followed by Max and Lien and at the back of the group is Rabb with her Tiger and Xeno.

    The narrow path winds through the raking claws of the trees, now bereft of their leaves, which crunch loudly underfoot. Up ahead, a fallen tree trunk blocks the path.

    Suddenly a trio of snarling humanoids leaps up from behind the log, all greenish skin and fearsome tusks, bellow vulgar challenges.

    ((Everyone, give me initiative rolls and I get the combat map up as soon as I can find a decent hex grid to use.))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. ((Initiative: 1d20 + Dex + 2 = 13 + 2 + 2 = 17))

      Delete
    3. Rabb looks at the tiger once again walking beside her and shakes her head sadly. The tiger she rescued had once obeyed her every command. Ever since the insane druid had taken the tiger from her insisting that she was too inexperienced to train it herself the tiger did as it pleased. Knowing that a disobedient animal companion was worse than no companion at all Rabb considered releasing it back to the wild. It might come to that, but she would give it a little more time.

      Delete
  25. (( Lien initiative: 15 + 2 Dex = 17 ))

    ReplyDelete
  26. ((Initiative isn't just Dex. It involves other things like spells and feats. For example, Max used his Dex bonus, but his Initiative is actually 4, so he's at 17. You can find your current Init bonus on your page, it's the 4th line, basically the last line of data before the first divider. We are just waiting on Sam and we'll move forward. I am going to go with squares for this combat as my hex paper is packed, I'll get some more.))

    ReplyDelete
  27. ((My bad. I didn't bother checking the sheet because I'm so used to doing d20 + Dex. Also, didn't even think to consider the Traits as being so useful, but there you are. Anyways, nice catch Pie, thanks.))

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. "Never fear, fellows," Max bellowed as he sidestepped out from behind the group before anyone could stop him, "Mysterious Max! the mighty Jagrafess shall save the day!"

    With the theatrics having been satisfied, Max reached down to his belt and grabbed hold of the old knotted leather strap that linked him to his past. With his other hand, Max traced a pattern with his finger in the air before him, he spoke the ancient words his grandfather had taught him, and then he waved his hand toward the ambushing vermin, engulfing them in a display of magical color.

    ((Color Spray: DC = 10 + Sp Lvl + CHA = 10 + 1 + 5 = 16
    ((Will Save negates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orcs 1 and 2 shake off the spray, while Orc 3 reaches for his eyes.

      ((I need a will save from you Max))

      Delete
    2. ((Will Save: 1d20 + 2(Base) + 1(Halfling luck) = 12 + 2 + 1 = 15))

      Delete
    3. Something tickles at the back of your brain, but the thought or whatever it is fleeting and you dismiss it and focus on the battle.

      Delete
    4. Orc 3 is down and out (unconcious) for 6 rounds.

      Delete
  30. Lien draws his scimitar and moves forward, stopping just shy of the nearest foe.

    (( Staying 5' away so that I can take a step and still Spell Combat next round. Not sure if that's the dazed one or not, but if it is that's fine. Any full melee characters should feel free to gang up/meatshield the guys, though. I are squishy magic man. ))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. (( With the updated Battle Map, I'm adjusting the move slightly. Lien will move across the battlefield and circle around O3, ending his turn on tile G10. This is only one move, I believe [Diagonal Southeastern movement 5'-15'-20' followed by Southern movement 10' = 30' total movement] unless I am confused about diagonal movement. Every other is 10', I think?

      My attack action is to draw my weapon, as with my original post. ))

      Delete
  31. ((Aya takes a 5 ft step backwards and fires her bow at orc 1. (Attack 18+5=23)(damage 5))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a hit. ((Aya, please give me a Will Save))

      Delete
  32. ((Will save 9+1=10)) (( Aya will not take the 5 ft adjustment.))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You notice nothing out of the ordinary

      Delete
  33. ((Posting for Ragnor))
    Ragnar whips his chain flail at the enemy, but purposely aiming wide of where the unscathed Orc is standing. As the ball sails past the Orc he reins in the chain and forces the weapon to abruptly change direction, sweeping back in to strike the back of the Orc's knee. ((18 on Trip))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((The attack hits and the orc falls to the ground with a growl))

      ((I need a will save from Ragnor, now, please))

      Delete
  34. Replies
    1. You notice nothing out of the ordinary.

      Delete
  35. Rabb will take a 5 foot step forward and fire her sling at orc 1.
    ((1d4=2))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hits.

      ((Please roll a will save))

      Delete
    2. ((As the rock hits the orc you notice something not quite right. In fact, even though you know the rock hit the orc and it acted like it hit, you notice the rock seems to actually pass through the orc. As you now know these are illusions, you may tell the others, if you'd like, but the others who are reading this comment have no knowledge of the illusion,))

      Delete
  36. Rabb notices that there is something strange about the hit to the orc and tells quickly tells the others in the party.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The orc who has taken the ranged hits roars and throws a javelin at the archer ((Aya))
    ((15+1=16)) but the javelin is wide of it's mark

    The prone orc stands up, ((Which provokes an attack--head's up, Sam has a houserule that allows the PC/NPC to stand up using a full round action and not provoke. I've decided not to use that houserule as we have a couple of folks who have trip as part of their builds or character ideas, I want to give them the full credit for doing what they want to do. As we have to address the AoO first, Kevin, make your attack, then once we figure out what happens, the orc can make his attack.))

    The third orc continues his not so blissful slumber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ragnor sees the Orc begin to stand and although Rabb has said something about the strangeness of the creature, the dwarf is too focused on this potential opening to miss his chance and he throws his weapon once more! ((Rolled 3 + 1 against Orcs + 1 sacred weapon specialization + 2 Strength Bonus = 7))

      Delete
    2. That did not hit, the orc throws his javelin at Ragnor.

      ((9+1=10))
      But like the other orc, the javelin goes wide.

      ((Xeno is now up))

      Delete
    3. ((15 Roll for will save, that's like a 17 or so after adding in Wis Mod I think))

      Delete
  38. Xeno bares his teeth and shouts "are you sure you don't want to invite them to tea?!" and then makes a charging hurl at Orc 1.

    (12+9=21, 3+4 = 7 damage. Xeno ends his move in D8 and is at AC 17 until his next turn.

    Will Save: 12 + 0 = 12)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a hit and the orc crumples to the ground dead.

      Xeno realizes that the orc looks like it got hit and the damage was done, but it looks odd enough to him to believe Rabb was correct that the orcs are just illusions.

      Delete
  39. ((Orc 1 is dead, Orc 3 is unconscious and prone. Or 2 is still up and alive. Currently, Rabb and Xeno are the only ones who actually believe the orcs are illusions. If you hit or are hit by the remaining orcs, you will get a will save and you will be able to add +4 to that roll. We are back to the top of the order now.))

    ReplyDelete
  40. "Tea?" Max asks, suddenly interested. "Will there be biscuits as well?"

    Not waiting for an answer, Max pulls the heavy crossbow from his back and let's loose the prepared bolt at the green monstrosity laying helpless before him.

    ((Attack: 1d20 + BAB + DEX + Size = 11 + 0 + 2 + 1 = 14
    ((Damage: 1d8 = 3
    ((Will Save: 1d20 + Base + Racial + Bonus = 15 + 2 + 1 + 4 = 22

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blot Max fires hits the orc directly in the chest, but Max notices it seems to pass right through the orc instead of sticking in as he would imagine. Something interrupts his thoughts of biscuits and other food and he remembers Rabb's comment, too.

      ((You now realize these orcs are illusions and even less real than the aforementioned biscuits!))

      ((Lien can go, Ragnor is after him, then Aya and Rabb is she chooses))

      Delete
  41. ((Posting for Lien))
    Lien steps forward and draws his scimitar across the neck of the helpless orc.
    ((6+4+2+2=14))
    "killing" the orc.
    As he does, he realizes that the orc isn't real.
    ((will save=13+1+4=18))

    ((Aya and Rabb are up. Aya and Ragnor are the only ones who still believe the illusion))

    ReplyDelete
  42. Rabb looks at the orcs in confusion. She steps back (5ft. step back).
    ((delay))

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ragnor throws out his weapon once more, hoping to trip his opponent. ((16 Roll + 1 Orc Hatred + 1 Sacred Weapon + 2 Str Bonus = 20))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orc falls to the ground.

      ((please roll a will save and add 4 to your normal will save, which is d20+4, IIRC)

      Delete
    2. ((Hardy does apply, since it's a save vs spell. Have you added it or Not added it before to another roll?))

      Delete
  44. ((Are any Orcs standing at this moment?))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((Orc 2 is alive, but prone, he has cover and has taken some damage))

      Delete
  45. ((Aya shoots an arrow at Orc 2, Attack 15 + 5 +_ any adjustment for prone and cover))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((it's -4, plus 20% miss chance so roll a percentile dice (2 d10, before you roll, figure out which is the 10s, roll high))

      Delete
  46. ((Miss chance roll 57)) ((Damage 6, if hit)) ((will save 10+1+4=15))

    ReplyDelete
  47. The arrow hits the orc in the middle of the chest and just like the other two, the orc collapses to the ground. A heartbeat later, the images disappear.

    COMBAT IS OVER

    ((Lien please give me a perception check, smell based if you have anything that might increase that part of perception--scent etc. I don't think you do, but I am not completely familiar with everyone's character all the way.))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (( Perception Check 1d20 + 1: 19 + 1 = 20 ))

      (( Apologies for the delay over the weekend. Classes start back today, which means I should have some regular time every day to be more active on here. Read: Out of "Baby Jail!" ))

      Delete
    2. As Lien inhales after the battle is done, he realizes he smells something familiar. Another few sniffs confirm his suspicion, he is smelling the tobacco that Hologast uses.

      Delete
    3. Lien sniffs the air for a moment and pauses, mulling the scent over in his mind. After a moment he nods and turns to his compatriots with a grin on his face.

      "No doubt about it, I smell the ever-present pipesmoke of Hologast. It seems that the townsfolk want to make this a memorable journey for us!"

      Delete
  48. Xeno wants to walk into the forest 20 or 30 feet on both sides to see what he can discover about the images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((Give me two perception checks, one for each side, please note which side applies to which roll))

      Delete
    2. Left side is an 18, right side is a 13.

      Delete
    3. Xeno searches both sides of the path and doesn't see or hear anything, but he does catch a whiff of some pipe smoke on the air.

      Delete
    4. Enough to follow? On what side of the path? How dense is the forest?

      Delete
    5. ((No, not really. You just catch a sniff here or there. You just know someone who smokes a pipe was in the area, not even which side.))

      The forest path is pretty much a cut out of a pretty dense forest. While Lien was able to use move through it, it did reduce his movement some. You are on this path for a reason, it's really the only way to get south through this part of the forest.

      Delete
    6. Xeno comes busting out of the forest, shaking twigs out of his cornrows and mumbles "someone who smokes a pipe was out here but he's gone now. Let's keep moving."

      He picks up his chakram and begins to move down the path.

      Delete
  49. Aya says, "Does anyone here understand what just happened?
    Were the Orks illusions? If so, what could have cast such a spell?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I have heard of those that dabble in the arcane playing tricks on ones mind but I never thought a dwarf like me would fall for such a ploy. If this pipe smoker is indeed your mentor then can we assume he is our enemy and has betrayed the town or is this part of a test? No one was hurt by the trickery... So it makes me think that it is a test. I don't like being tested." Ragnor spins his deadly weapon about and glances furtively at the treeline.

      "There is another possibility.... This could be attempts to sap our strength and leave us weak and easy prey. Guard well your powers and skills, and let not illusions or tests drain us of our strength." Ragnor follows Xeno down the path, moving ahead of him and taking up his spot near the fore.

      Delete
  50. Rabb moves into her place next to Xeno. Calling to the tiger to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  51. "So, do I understand that each of you have a 'mentor' in the town?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If you want to call it that. A while ago my parents made me go get help in my studies from an ancient, unbalanced hag in town named Olmira Treesong. They thought they were doing a good thing, but it's caused me nothing but trouble. Before she took control of this tiger I called her Shadow because she followed me everywhere and obeyed every command. You see what the animal is like now, completely useless." Rabb sighs and continues to walk alongside Xeno.

      Delete
  52. The party restarts the journey south.

    The rest of the day passes in peace. As the sun begins to set, a cold wind begins to really pick up. Each of you can definitely tell winter is coming.
    ((Can each of you give me a Survival Check to find a good camp, please?))

    ReplyDelete
  53. Xeno with Rabb's help finds a nice level area with protection on three sides. Dead wood is abundant and the group settles into the camp.
    ((I need the watch order from everyone, then each of you please make a perception check.))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. (( Lien Perception 1d20+1: 11+1 = 12 ))

      (( Not sure why my wife's account posted.... Whoops! ))

      Delete
  54. ((Aya will take any watch needed. Perception check 2+7=9))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Feel free to roll my checks for me DM.)

      Delete
  55. ((perception check d20 + 8 =18 + 8= 26))

    ReplyDelete
  56. ((posting for Xeno))
    Perception:15-1=14

    ReplyDelete
  57. The group settles down for the evening. Combining the supplies each of you have, you are able to make a nice warm stew to help ward off the cold. As you are sitting around eating and making camp you can hear the howls of wolves all around you. As dinner is complete and the group is talking and preparing for the night, Rabb notices a lone wolf on the edge of the firelight.

    ((Rabb can react in the surprise round, along with the wolf. Everyone please roll initiative. ))

    ReplyDelete
  58. Rabb is going to speak to the wolf in druidic. "Hello, brother. What brings you to our campfire this night."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((Please give me a knowledge-nature skill check))
      ((Reminder to all: I am allowing knowledge checks untrained, even though by rule they are not allowed, basically you'll roll a d20 and modify with Int modifier--so some of you may end up subtracting from the roll. Obviously if you are trained, you'll add the skill modifier.))

      Delete
    2. The wolf gives Rabb an odd look before turning and running off. As the wolf turns Rabb notices it looks pretty thin. Rabb thinks the wolf looked hungry.

      Delete
  59. ((Maxarodenfroe Initiative:
    ((1d20 + Dex + 2 = 6 + 2 + 2 = 10

    ReplyDelete
  60. Rolling "Xeno Init" : 1d20 + 3
    Rolling 1d20 + 3
    ( 11 ) + 3 = 14

    Rolling "Rabb Init" : 1d20 + 4
    Rolling 1d20 + 4
    ( 4 ) + 4 = 8

    Rolling "Lien Init" : 1d20 + 2
    Rolling 1d20 + 2
    ( 19 ) + 2 = 21

    ReplyDelete
  61. As the group beds down for the night, helping each other pitch the tents and get squared away. Xeno and Rabb begin their watch, as the others head to get some sleep. About 2 hours into the watch, Rabb notices the wolf is back, this time she sees a few more eyes out at the edge of the firelight. Growling sounds can be heard.

    ((We are using the initiative I had you roll for this part of the adventure. Xeno and Rabb will act in the surprise round. The wolves (you aren't sure how many, but you believe you see at least 3 pairs of eyes) are 40 feet from the fire. Neither of you are flatfooted due to Rabb's perception roll, she nudged Xeno. Xeno you are up first, then Rabb, then the wolves. Top of next round will follow the initiative order I am posting on the website as soon as this posts))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bellow out a challenge then charge and throw a chakram at one of them, moving ten feet closer and no further.

      14+5+2 = 21 to hit
      7+4 = 11 damage

      Delete
    2. That hits, the wolf is still up.

      Delete
    3. Rabb slings a bullet at the injured wolf.
      ((1d20= 19 to hit. Damage is 1d4= 3.))

      Delete
    4. The wolf falls to the ground dead.

      Delete
  62. As the rest of the group comes out of their tents due to the warning yell from those on watch (I assumed you yelled). They see the remaining 4 wolves close for an attack.

    Wolves 2 and 3 attack Xeno and Wolves 4 and 5 attack Rabb.

    Wolves 2, 3 and 4 miss their attacks, but wolf 5 lands a blow, doing 7 points of damage to Rabb and tripping her prone.

    Top of the round, initiative is now in place. Everyone is within 30 feet of all the wolves and the other folks.

    To speed the process up, everyone but Aya gets to go whenever they have time to post. Then I'll do the wolves' turn and then Aya. We'll continue with the blocks until combat is over. Don't wait for me to resolve each person's combat, just post your action. I'll resolve them as time allows. Please let me know which wolf you are attacking by using W2, W3, etc. If your target dies before your attack, I'll just move your attack to the next logical choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wolves were 40 feet away. Rabb didn't move on her turn. How far can the wolves move in a turn?

      Delete
    2. ((Replied back to the email directly, but in case others are wondering. Wolves have a 50ft movement speed))

      Delete
    3. Just trying to figure out why 2 wolves would run past the screaming, weapon wielding, wolf injuring maniac and fix their gaze on little Rabb.

      Delete
    4. Your stone killed one of their pack. And you look easier to pull down.

      Delete
    5. So do these wolves have intelligence?

      Delete
  63. No more than normal wolves.They are pack animals with instincts to take the weaker targets. I split them up on the two targets that attacked them. Intelligent critters might have all attacked one or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I swing my greatclub at the wolf on my left and holler "somebody find the wizard that's causing this!"

    (13+5 = 18 to hit, 5+6 = 11 damage)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hits and the wolf falls to the ground dead.

      Delete
    2. (No kidding, I rolled a 20.)

      To hit: 20+5, to confirm 10+5 = 15. Damage (if it's a crit) 2+5+4+4= 15, (if it's not a crit) 2+4 = 6.

      Delete
    3. ((That hits and confirms and that kills the wolf dead and if the wolf has a pup, that pup actually takes damage, wherever it is.))

      Delete
  65. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((You just described 3 actions, you only have 2, plus aid another requires a roll. Pick 2, please and give me an attack roll if you are aiding))

      Delete
    2. ((I threw a piece of meat and stood by someone, I don't see how that can be 3 actions?)

      Delete
    3. ((Okay, so you aren't aiding Rabb, that's fine))

      Delete
  66. Rabb clubs the wolf closest to her.
    (1d20= 17 damage is 1d6= 2)

    ReplyDelete
  67. Small Recap: Wolf 1 is dead, Wolf 2 is alive and facing Xeno. Wolf 3 is dead and Wolf 4 is facing Rabb, while she is prone on the ground.

    ((Oops, small bookkeeping that the recap takes into account--Rabb due to your prone position, your attack misses the wolf. Now, I am not sure this has been brought up before so I'll throw it out there. You could, instead of an attack, choose to go Full Defensive. Basically, you'll get a +4 to your AC, which will basically negate your prone modifier for defense, Basically, the wolves would get a +4 to their attacks. It's an option for you, if you'd like to change your mind. It's not something that comes up much in Sam's game because he just allows a full round action to stand up and not provoke.

    We still have Max and Lien to go before the wolves, so it's possible both may attack Wolf 4 and kill it before they get to act and make the last paragraph moot.))

    ReplyDelete